Re: 2.8v6 tpi and a 730

At 04:07 PM 7/18/00 -0800, you wrote:
Which V6 MPFI intakes did you get?  I assume you got the Gen I because

Yup... Gen I intakes.

the Gen II's won't mate to the iron heads.  (The aluminum Gen II heads
have a different shape.)  Your TBI engine has the iron heads.  There are
actually also two versions of the iron heads - small valve and big

I have the big valve heads. I had to remove the heads when I installed the headers (broken bolts). So..... I couldn't very well re-install them without pocket porting them first. That would be a waste of power! :)

Gen I MPFIs use a dizzy.  You might be better off converting to a
complete Gen I (C3 ECM) system rather than trying to rig a '730.  For
Gen I, your ECM choices are the 1226870 ('85) and 1227302 ('86-'89) if
you want to use MAF.  If you want MAP, use a 1226869 or 1227170.  For
the former pair, you could start with a stock Camaro calibration, the
latter, a Fiero cal.  TK's GMEPro supports the latter.

Thanks for the info tip on the Fiero/GMEPro pairing. I want to use MAP. Other then the added complexity, is there any other reason not to consider the 730? I picked the 730 because I wanted to learn it... I'm not married to it.

If you examine GM's 2.8 MPFI engine lineup in the late '80's, you'll
notice that the higher output applications retained the iron head Gen I
design.  This is despite the theoretically better canted valves of the
aluminum Gen II heads.

I think even the 3.4 RWD crate motor retains the Gen I head...

Ernst