Re: A post from the newbie brigade - I'm getting closer (1 of many)

KasaRyan@aol.com wrote:

> Ok it looks like all my complaining about how tough life is has turned a few
> sympathetic ears.  I must thank everyone on the list who has been helping me
> out, and I have noticed that they are mostly lurkers - just soaking in all
> that knowledge.
>
> Here is where I am at :
>
> 6 - What I have noticed is that this list has about 3 different Camps - those
> that deal in real hairy conversations with a high level of specialized
> information about platforms and ECM numbers and talk above some of our heads
> (for now),  Those (like myself) who are just starting to see the light of how
> all this stuff works and are now able to apply something, and everybody else
> - some who do this for fun/profit, or both.  Neato.
Camps?  Uhh...  ya know, I did my first conversion before I could
throw around ecm #'s and specialized info.  Even as late as this
spring, I was still having trouble remembering ecm #'s for the pfi
stuff (I'd worked on many tbi apps, though).  The "specialized" stuff
comes from deciding to make the hairy conversion work.

> 8.  As soon as I have to I will get myself a hex editor (at least once I
> understand things so I can personalize my prom ID)
Look for hex workshop or winhex.  Both can be downloaded and tried out
for free.

> 7 - Questions - Instructions or an FAQ for WinBin or Tunercat would be nice.
> Because I would like to know what some of the controllable variables are and
> how they work. . .for example . . .Main Spark bias = 10.   Does this mean
> that the computer adds 10 degrees to everying in the tables or calculated?
> Or does it assume that you already have 10d static (I do!), or something even
> stranger?
Main spark bias is a value to make the timing calculations correct.
If the ecm determines that the correct timing for a given engine
speed/load/temp/voltage is 10 deg., it has to know how many degrees
advenced the distributor is to be correct.  If it blindly threw out 10
degrees, and your dizzy was at ten, you'd have a total of 20.  So the
spark bias is subtracted from the timing calculation.

> 10. My next step - once I understand more about what I am doing, Is to simply
> take a factory bin and change the idle speed to 850, change the cylinder size
> to fit a 383, and change the IFR to 90lb/hr.  And drive it and see what
> happens.  I bet it will work pretty darn good.  Can I use the Injector Flow
> rate as sort of a gross fuel adjuster, or should that sort of thing be done
> in the table. (are fuel table values in percent of something or an arbitrary
> value?)
I would set the flow rate so it's correct for the engine.  I have
driven around watching BL values, and slightly adjusted the flow rate
up or down (after I set it correctly) to give the most cells close to
128.  This takes more watching and less tuning than getting into the
tables.  From that point, don't mess with it again.

> 11.  Once I learn how - make one change at a time, document it, hot rod it,
> run the piss out of it and let the suggestions roll in.
It's veeery easy to get excited about making a difference and change a
few things at once, or fail to write it down,  Keep good notes, what
ya think you'll remember will become lost info when you need it.
Shannen