Got VSS . . .

I added VSS to my Triumph installation of the '747. This was rather easy to do. On the TR (and most British cars for that matter) the instruments are discrete units that plug either into the old style wooden dashboards (earlier cars) or into an more modern "instrument nacelle" like in mine. I simply attached a magnetic reed sensor near the speedometer's rotating magnet and, viola, instant VSS at an exact 2000 ppm for under 2 bucks.

Now, I know you're saying, "why not use a Hall effect sensor instead?" I didn't because:

I didn't have one last weekend (I do now - some nice Harris units, also under 2 bucks).

The rated electro-mechanical lifetime of the reed switch is 200 million operations. If you do the math, this translates to 100,000 miles which is longer than the rated life of any other part on the car.

Adding VSS has definitely changed the behavior of the system. The most notable effect is adding a "dashpot" effect. That is, when the car is still moving, the engine speed is held higher than idle speed (in neutral, foot off throttle) which then settles down to idle after stopping. The problem I have is that this is about 2000 RPM (2500 RPM cold) on my system. I'm hoping there is an IAC setting(s) to control this (perhaps the IAC park position?). The car wants to run way right now. Does anyone know?

Thanks,

Scott