Re: more details sbc in place of lt1

Garfield Willis wrote:
> What zactly WAS the public rationale for the hi-res in that system
> anyway? Did they really tout it's technical ability to speedily adapt to
> adjust cyl-to-cyl timing changes? Or was it just an engineering or
> management team gone mad?

Well, Garfusion, I think the Lo-res pulse was for when the inevitable
rusting of the disk happened, and you lose the hi-res disk pulses. ;^)
Seeing how they mounted the opti right below the water pump, didn't seal
it against the elements at all, and hardly vented the '92-'94 units (3
teeny holes in the back plate), they're quite good at holding pump
seepage, and the little metal slotted disk is quite adept at rusting,
and rust can easily fuzz up those tiny holes (heavy spark air ionization
plus coolant plus bare metal? yikes!). Car will keep running (not that
great, and with a DTC) when you lose the hi-res pulse, but lose the
lo-res pulse, and that's it. Car doesn't run, and it's new opti time.

I think it was a good idea put together wrong. Accurate timing, yes, but
that rust thing is sure a killer. They should've used a hard plastic or
a stainless disk. And at nearly $300 each, them buggers ain't cheap.

-Andrew