Re: more details sbc in place of lt1

At 02:58 PM 7/25/00 -0700, you wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:41:17 -0500, "Andrew K. Mattei"
<amattei@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Well, with a little electrical wizardry you could do a crank hub monitoring
>sensor to simulate the 8 (IIRC) pulses per rev of the lo-res Opti pulse, and
>then some sort of black box trickery to 'create' the high-res opti pulses
>based on those lo res pulses. Essentially what the Electromotive LT1 SDI
>(which is no longer available) did, right Roger? Perhaps 9 holes drilled in
>the crank hub - 8 at every 45 degrees, adding one at an odd spot so that
>it's "keyed", with a small magnet inside each hole, and a hall effect sensor
>mounted to the timing chain cover to detect them as they go by...

Yes, this sounds like a perfect application for a Phased-Lock Poop, err
I mean Loop (dang, when ARE those meds gonna kick in).

What zactly WAS the public rationale for the hi-res in that system
anyway? Did they really tout it's technical ability to speedily adapt to
adjust cyl-to-cyl timing changes? Or was it just an engineering or
management team gone mad?

Garpuzzled
   Gees , such a goings on about timing indexing on 360 Degree basis
in SEQUENCE no less. Hmmmmm. Sounds like very sound Fuel /Spark
management to me folks. Chevrolet did their homework IMHO.
They Switch the Res from startup to Run, pretty smart. Fairly reliable
system too , provided there's no water intrusion. '93s trapped moisture,
it was subsequently fixed in 94 MY. Have seen units with 100k that
have never failed. Hi speed pud muddles  and pressure washers
cause grief tho!! Anyone is free to question the logic however.
Len