EEPROM Code gurus

This is probably not totally appropriate for this list but I  have exhausted
all my other resources.

I have a 96 K1 R at work (sequential 5.7)  We have bought several with
Canadian emissions (U19) and
now are  having trouble with one. I have confirmed with Gm of Canada some of
the differences between U19  and federal emissions. U19 does not have any
misfire detection or any O2 diagnostics, how they made it through Inspection
for sale in the states I'm  not sure. I've tried to reprogram by VCI but was
unable to get
techline approval for tampering reasons. If I am unable to get around this I
will probable replace the VCM
and install fed software with a different vin. Why? Fed software is far
superior in diagnostics, and OK, it just makes my life easier. A while back
someone mentioned they lost the "boot loader" from their EEPROM and was
unable to reprogram the VCM. When we replace a VCM we must first read from
the blank VCM "some unknown data" to the tech 2 that allows us to set the
VIN number and Software level with the techline terminal. Anybody now of a
way to "reset or clean" an already programmed VCM? I don't need to Edit any
tables or alter any cals, just would like to install federal Emissions in a
Canadian rig without replacing the VCM. The wiring and sensors seem to be
the same, it appears to be only a software difference. I don't have the VCM
number handy,  I am interested in what is stored on one that is blank. Any
comments? suggestions?    Already heard "send it back to Canada" , thank god
for good tech support..   Thanks.

John
gm.man@gte.net