Re: Engine light on getting code 12

Sounds fine to me.  Code 12 with a&b jumpered is "no distributor
reference pulses", a condition you should definitely have if the
engine is not running.  Code 12 is sort of used as a sanity check for
the ecm.
Check other GM cars, you will find the same thing.

You haven't mentioned whether or not the engine starts, which would be
a key issue.  No pun intended. : )  No start with code 12 indicates a
need to make sure the dizzy is sending out pulses to the ecm.

I'm surprised that you don't have a service manual for that truck.  It
should have a description of the code, and a trouble tree for checking
it.

However, if want some personal attention, you can send your Sy to me,
a professional mechanic, and I'll volunteer to flog it-- I mean test
it and make sure everything is ok.
Shannen