Re: more details sbc in place of lt1

Len,

>         Psst , It's the "Optical Encoder " thing in a Motor Vehicle as
> reference Here.

Sorry, I was stuck on the Opti design itself.  Agreed, the optical
encoder is a pretty neat piece and I personally have only had 2 go bad,
but that seems to be due to a PCM wiping them out for lack of a better
explanation (completely fused the harness connector to the pickup twice
in a couple months of very few miles).  I just have to question the
judgment of the moron that insisted they develop that system like they
did in the face of better engineering advice.  The Opti system is a poor
execution potentially neat technology that could have been avoided with
a little common sense and some better materials.  I maintain that it was
senseless to spend all that time and money to develop that system when a
simple DIS system would have been much better suited to the application.

Out of curiosity of this whole thing, what is the minimum time it takes
an optical sensor to 'detect' (if that is the right term) an edge of the
slot?  Looking at the wheel, it has 360 slots, meaning that there is a
leading edge every other crankshaft degree, and a trailing edge every
other crankshaft degree.  A crankshaft degree goes by pretty fast at,
say, 6000 rpms: 27µS by my calculations (though that is entirely
possible to be wrong by a decimal place).  What do you suppose is the
minimum time it takes for the sensor to be able to detect a slot?

Later dates.
--
Scott Knight  mailto:scott@scottknight.com
http://www.scottknight.com/ IRC:SS396man