Re: more details sbc in place of lt1

Bruce,

> Which DIS was it that offered 1d resolution?.

Dunno, not an expert.  Probably none, but then I am not entirely
convinced that the LTx engine controller takes complete advantage of
that resolution either.  Doesn't seem necessary to me, though it does
appeal to the techy engineer inside that likes gadgets and far too much
information <G>.

> Best one I know of was 24x,  which isn't in the same planet resolution wise.
> Early systems could take, almost two engine revolutions at crank to sync.,
> Opti's did it in 90d+-.  Lots of customers complained about long cranking on
> the early DISs.  Loading the cylinders for a couple extra spins for
> synching, and fiinally ignition does nothing good for emissions.
> Could it have been done better?, Hindsight is a marvelous thing.....

I realize that, but my point is that they would have ended up with a
much better system more economically if they had just worked on refining
the DIS than coming up with an entirely new system that was known to
have problems in development.  Of _course_ early DIS had problems...so
did early EFI, and every other new technology.  Even my '85 Vette with
tuned port had problems...that damn thing would crank and crank to start
when it was brand new.  Still better than the systems before it IMHO.
Opti-Spark was a big step backwards as far as I am concerned, and it
will be very difficult to convince me otherwise.  And it's not like they
had no good DIS systems to work from at the time...LT5 was already in
production and Northstar was under development at the same time as the
Opti...possibly even a little bit sooner.

Later dates.
--
Scott Knight  mailto:scott@scottknight.com
http://www.scottknight.com/ IRC:SS396man