Re: 747 Rom Emulator / design

A xilinx xcv50 has 32k bits (4k bytes) of block ram.  Check the package
types available before going too far down this road.  Tools cost should be
considered as well (xilinx alliance or foundation).  A simulation tool
like modelsim would be nice (verilog/vhdl).  There are some free tools
available like xilinx's webfitter, but it may not cover the device you
want to use (http://www.xilinx.com/products/software/we_detail.htm).  I'm
not up to date on altera offerings.

Depending on the fpga used, the "single chip emulator" may also need an
eprom or two (maybe serial eprom) to program it everytime it powers up.

I think it's a good idea.  Depending on what users want, a pic and dpram
would be more "hobbiest friendly" in my opinion.

Regards,
Tom