Re: EPROM Programming

WEG1192@aol.com wrote:

> Mark,
Oops...  Excuse me...

<snip>

>And its only forums like this where
> the truth is separated from the unfounded boasting.
Nope, not always  But it's a good start.

My main question that I
> guess I didn't write clearly enough is are the .bin files on the GMECM site
> ones that some of you have retuned and placed for others to use, or would
> that be too dangerous to start with another's retune.
They should be stock files, placed there as a starter file or for
comparison.  There are a few modified files, again for comparison's
sake only.

I would think it would
> be helpful to compare say your retune against stock to see where performance
> gains are found.
That's what they are there for.

I recently put a TPI on my Chevy 350 in a manual Jeep
> Cherokee. The chip I have came with the ECM I bought off Ebay. It seems to
> work OK, but I get a code 24 a lot, (speed sensor) so I'm trying to decide if
> its worth it to buy a burner and fix it myself or buy a speed sensor.
Buy the sensor _and_ the burner.  Your Jeep will thank you.  The VSS
is used for deceleration enleanment and stall prevention.  What year
tpi system?  MAF or MAP?

>But
> since I'm the kind of guy who likes to know my car like a cowboy knows his
> horse, I like the retune idea better. And now that I know what is possible
> with a retune, I'm definitely going to go for the retune. Plus, I am trying
> to put GM FI on my Grand Wagoneer. Would it be a reasonable guess that a
> stock GM suburban 4X4 .bin calibration would work (until I get around to a
> retune) with my Jeep 4X4 as long as the VATS is turned off?
Suburban with VATS?  None of the calibrations here are that new,
AFAIK.  The 7747 .bins are from 1991 and down, no security features
installed.

One other thing,
> Jason Weir put GM FI on his Jeep. I followed his trail from the beginning.
> The only thing that seemed to not get answered was why he felt that the GM
> spark curve would not work with his Jeep. He hasn't returned my E-mails. Do
> you know?
Jason asked essentially the same questions you are, like "can I use a
stock file without modifying it?"  He tried to do as little as
possible, and he found out fairly quickly that each engine, each
conversion, each vehicle is different.  Can you use a stock .bin?
Possibly.  Will it be as good as you want it?  Doubtful.
I'd worry less about why Jason changed his timing, and worry more
about what you can do to find out if yours is optimal. Just MHO.  : )
Shannen