Re: EPROM Programming

There's NO silver bullet for getting a specific system calibration "right on" other than hard work and attention to detail. Ever wonder why OEMs have so many different calibrations on seemingly identical equipped vehicle ? The devil is in the details, emulators just help to get them done quicker , working with old technology Eproms, which eat lots of valuable time in the erase and write process. It's not difficult to see why most devices use "Flash" now. On commercial programs , they are just that , mostly fits all calibrations. Want yours to be right on , you've got to invest the time it takes to make it work the way you want. There's folks that do good calibrations, and it's worth every $ they charge for the service , but you must seek them out, they're
 too busy to be telling you I'm the greatest, just ask me thing.
    Len

Thanks all,

I have spent the last week searching the old E-mail archives and then looking
at all the links on the GMECM site. I was up til 4 in the morning once 'cause
I got addicted to all the great info I was finding. In particular, I saw that
the TPI ignition module adds its own advance without the ECM hooked up which
solved a problem I was having. Plus, I have asked a lot of questions at
TPIS.com, Turbocity, Thrasher-ep.com etc. Its not that I don't understand but
I get different answers from all the vendors. Just trying to sort out what's
propaganda and what's fact. Thrasher's site seems to contradict what TPIS
says, etc. So I thought I would just write my own chips. It just seemed like
a horrendously long task to burn a chip, drive it, change it, and so on. Dr.
Plecan, since you obviously now know what a perfect chip can do, how do the
aftermarket chips, (Hypertech, TurboCity, TPIS, etc.) stack up to your work?
Are they close or are they way behind? How close can they get just by you
giving them your engine specs? Turbocity actually brags about the ability of
their chip man. I can't believe they could spend the time you have and make
it profitable for them.

Last, it seems that the emulator in the WINBIN link would really reduce the
chip perfection time. Is this program a viable project? Why hasn't this been
done already by Diacom? Actually, Haltech E6GM may be the same thing but I
gathered it was not a GM ECM but some sort of less featured copy.

Anyway, I at first thought this site was sponsored by GM, but now I realize
that Steve Ravet and other members donated their time to this build this and
I wanted to thank them and everyone else who contributed. Its pretty awesome.

John Wilson