Re: EPROM Programming

Mark and all,

I had searched the archive for VSS and apparently Greg Parmer came to the
same conclusion I did that the VSS is needed although the "experts" say I
don't need one. What I am trying to determine is if the "experts" at TPIS,
Turbocity, and Howell are all wrong. They all say a VSS is not needed except
for autos. Also, TPIS charges $475 for their level 5 EPROM chip. Are you
saying that even at that price they are not that good? For a stock or close
to stock engine, are you guys just splitting hairs in tuning to the nth
degree or are there some significant benefits to retuning a stock memcal for
a stock motor? Its this kind of knowledge that makes me a cynical man. I've
gotten to the point where I don't trust my doctor, my lawyer, my accountant,
etc.

I began to question things when I was told by TPIS how to set my fuel
pressure on my TPI. They said to run at WOT and measure the voltage on my O2
sensor. It should be 0.85 volts according to them. Well, I can't get there.
It pegs at 0.72 volts. But according to Thrasher-EP's site, since the BLM
cell 15 is used in WOT calculations for fuel, the ECM is compensating for the
increased fuel pressure and I will never get there. Their chip supposedly
fixes this problem by resetting cell 15 to 128. So are they correct or are
they not? TPIS says no. It's frustrating when the truth depends on who you
ask. Does anyone here agree with Thrasher?

Thanks