Re: Macintosh Scantool Software...

reizner@enteract.com wrote:

> I've been looking for a while now and haven't been able to find any
> software that'll run on a Mac for tapping/analyzing an ECM.  Does
> anybody know of anything that's out there that I can use with relatively
> little trouble?  I've dabbled a little in C/C++, but I don't have nearly
> enough technical competency in the language to write my own setup.  The
> guinea pig ECM is a 1227730 P4 module [on an '88 Chevy 2.8 MPFI], so I
> tried using Carsten Meyer's 'ALDL-Monitor' in a DOS emulator, but I keep
> running into problems with the serial port hardware.  Also, I found that
> I was unable to download a functional executable of his software from
> his site [on three different machines [two Macs & a Win98 box]], so I
> ended compiling it myself from the Pascal source in an emulated DOS
> shell.

Jason, don't bother trying to use ALDLMON on the 2.8's computer.  It
doesn't work with my 2.8 either.  From what I can tell (someone
correctly me if necessary), the format of the ALDL stream changes
according to the PROM installed in the ECM.  I was thinking that
FreeScan's 410B module for 3.1 litre engines would work just fine with
my 2.8 and 7730 - it's practically the same engine and the 3.1, and its
still a 7730, right?  Wrong.  I was thinking that ALDLMON would work,
cause its still a 7730, right?  Bzzzz.

Basically what I ended up doing was dropping in a PROM from a 3.1 auto
last night.  It works with FreeScan's 410B, except for a few bugs which
I'll post in just a few.  I thought it interesting that changing the
PROM would change the ALDL format, but, hey, why not?

FreeScan should work in a Win95 emulator on the Mac, but I expect it to
be slow as molasses running uphill in the winter time.  And that's
assuming that the emulator can control the Mac's UART like a PC's.