Re: EPROM tuning head start

Ok, so what you are saying is that a perfect tune depends on having perfect
weather.  And that at any other time the tune is off and the BLM is depended
on to keep the motor running at stoich? Also, earlier I saw that the ESC
should not be used as a tuning aid but that is exactly what happens if you
use knock retard as an indicator that the timing is advanced a little too
far. Since the ESC module is what tells the ECM that knock is occurring, you
are using it as a tuning aid.

Another thing, I saw recently where it was recommended to use just a DVM and
nothing else to tune with. Without a scanner or Diacom, how will you know the
BLM, the knock counts, etc.? I guess I'm just either too ignorant of what's
really going on or my idea of a good tune and yours is relative. I mean, I
thought GM tuned engines to reduce combustion temps at cruise to reduce NOx
emissions, but maybe you are tuning for different criteria like maximum
acceleration. If you define a perfect tune by the summer temperature outside,
then during the winter, the engine is not going to be in perfect tune. All I
want is a smooth running engine regardless of which 350 motor I put it on and
during any season. I need a 350 chip that is versatile, not restricted to
just one exact car. I think I am talking apples and you oranges. I'm not
looking for a chip to have the absolute fastest 1/4 mile times, and I think I
have fallen into a hornets nest full of drag racing hornets. Maybe a stock
350 GM chip is just fine for my AMC 360 stock engine. That's all I was really
trying to find out anyway.