Re: Off Topic: How to manually solder SMD chips?

Jose Carlos Felicio Rublescki wrote:

> Hi. Sorry this is off-topic.
>
> Does anyone have experience in manually soldering SMD chips?
> How can I solder without inadvertedly connecting several pins together?

I do (PLCC 32-pin flash memory is what I like soldering on).

I use a .2mm needle point tip (very fine, very narrow, about 1" long)
turned up to 800-850 degrees on my iron (gets it just hot enough at that
far away, very narrow tip to melt the solder). I use .01" rosin core
solder as well (a little thicker than hair).

That combination works very well for me. My iron is a Hakko 900M with
928 base, the tip is a Hakko but I forget the number on it...

See http://www.mindspring.com/~amattei/flashfix.htm for what I do. That
page is now outdated - with my new .2mm tip, I no longer need to remove
the base from the PLCC socket, I can solder the legs of the socket
directly to the PCB pad.

If your tip is too big, or solder is to fat, it will be virtually
impossible to control it. My .8mm Hakko tip is too big, for example, to
do it without bridging traces. You must have a very small (long and
narrow) tip.

Of course, I must also do this before I've had more than 2 cups of
coffee. =8) Jittering while soldering SMD chips is *bad*. ;)

Andrew