single vs double batch fire

ECM in question: '165 with type 32 Prom

What is the difference between single fire and double fire on the injectors?
I've noticed that the eprom has an injector size value for each of these
instances. Should these values always be the same? At what point does the
ECM switch from one mode to the other?

If it works like I imagine, I would like to set the low-speed injector
sizing to open the injectors for a smaller amount of time, and the
high-speed sizing to something that will open the injectors longer. Will
this work?

Thanks,
Nick