Re: MAF and 89 Vet stuff

Mark,

    Thanks so much for the reply and explanation.  I am still a little fuzzy
on the MAF tables and what they represent.  In each of the tables 1-6 there
is a scaler.  Then there is a table with values listed on the left  as
counts.  What are counts?  The data on the right can be manipulated but what
does it affect?  Also I understand the various cell numbers and how they
relate to load or RPM.  What if in say cell 10 my BLM was 110.  How would I
subtract fuel from that cell?

As to Andrew and his post about the ported MAF, Ed Wright my chip burner
told me the same thing.  I swapped in a stock MAF with no difference.  My
solution to the lean condition was to enable PE at 45% throttle.  Still at
light cruise in 4th and in cell 15, my BLM is 118-120.  As I apply more
throttle pressure and engine load increases, my INT jumps to 150-160 with FP
at 43 psi.  At 50 psi (line off) the INT goes to 140-145'sh and then PE hits
and IPW jumps way up and everything is great.  Now at 50 psi it seems
tolerable with knock retard about 3.5-4.0 degrees.

Back to understanding more about the various tables and what they represent.
Mark, you say you don't fool with the MAF tables but you do fool with the PE
vs RPM tables.  Looking at this table, it lists a %change of PE in relation
to various RPM points.  This is a percent change from what?  This is a
little confusing to me right now.

I see in the software where the injector size can be entered in pounds per
hour like you told me.  So from what I gather, this is the single most
important item for a 383 running 30lb injectors.  Enter this value and the
ECM recalcs fuel used for open loop operation.  Of course I assume that
during closed loop, the O2 sniffer will do the rest.

Ok now to ask a really big question.  Some of you tell me you burn 100+
chips to get the prom just right.  My assumption of the perfect chip is
shoot for BLM's that are right on 128 or so in all cells, WOT O2 volts
around 880mv and very little if any knock retard that results to a perfect
spark advance map.  Am I correct?

I still have lots of questions and I dearly appreciate the long responses I
have received.  Also Mark I have the 6 speed with factory 3.33 rears.  What
cam are you running and what size injectors?

Question recap:
1.  MAF tables do what?  Calculate the amount of air based upon a certain
voltage from the MAF?  If so what function does the scaler have?  What is
meant by counts?   If I am right about the calculation of airflow, then you
really never do know the exact amount of air in gms/sec unless the entire
intake system MAF and forward is stock?

2.  What is adjusted to increase/decrease fuel in a certain cell?

3.  PE vs RPM table.  Percentage change from what?  What is the base value
if any?

4.  Perfect chip assumptions.

5.  What cam and size injectors do you have?

6.  One last question that I just thought of now.  My MAF pegs out at 254
gms/sec. at about 4200 RPM Certainly my 383 will move more air at a lower
RPM.  Since actual/calculated airflow is no longer measured by the MAF, what
controls the fuel flow above this?

I hope I'm not overloading the questions.  Thanks

Jason Norris
89 vette Super Ram