'749 questions

I'm hooking up my '749 on the bench using the stim board from the recent efi332
list buy.  I have most of it hooked up OK,  but have a few  questions:

1)  EST (C8) - is that an input to the ECU with the timing pulses?  2 per rev?

2) Reference (D8) - ground?

3)  BY-PASS (C7) - what's that?

4)  I don't see a crank input - not used on the '749?

5)  I see 2 VSS inputs - is that a differential signal? 5V or 12V?

I think I'm about ready  to power it up and start some ALDL communications.
With any luck I'll be firing injectors soon!

Thanks,

Bill