Re: baffling turbo..

> When accelerating, in 1st gear, the boost reads 15lbs, but as you put more
> load on it, ie 2nd gear, the gauge starts to bounce a bit then by third
gear
> reads 10lbs
> Through the rest of the gears other than 1st, the car surges.. it seems to
> be missing??  But the REALLY REALLY strange part is the red exaughst smoke
> that comes out the tail pipe at higher rpm's...

As the load goes up (less mechanical torque leverage [ie gearing, and aero
load]) you need more fuel.  They brobably run the motor rich, which is fine,
but then back the timing out, so avoid detonation.  Now that excessive fuel
is what?.  Lots of deposits, in the exhuast system, so probably one of two
things.
1) last owner was a feather foot driver, and just ran enough to glop things
up with deposits, and your burning them off.
2) Normal for the brand of fuel, yep mangenese can do that.

> Also the turbo and manifold will be glowing red after a drive...
> We thought the cat may be plugged.. so we hollowed the cat.. no diff,
> Plugs wires cap and rotor have been changed as well as timing checked and
> fuel press...
> Eveything seems to be fine...

EGT is getting way to high.
Something fuel / timing is wrong, but I'm not familiar with F*rd strategies

> Anyone ever seen this red exhaust smoke before??

Lots of times.
Bruce