Re: newby

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 07:51:17 -0700, you wrote:

>> have
>>
>> After reading where your at, the 747 seems like the best option at this
>> stage for you.  Thou, I'd really suggest you hunt down all the info you can
>> ie
>> visit   www.tunercat.com, and look at the FTP for stuff related to GMEPro.
>> There is a demo for GMEPro at the FTP, and tunercat has one for the 747

Sheesh, this is getting to be OLD. I just had another 4-day email
blackout just after struggling to come up for air after the move!
Argh. NOT fun losing your connection from a flakey disk and ISP at the
same time, just a couple days after coming up for air. Whimper.

Anyhoo, as you can see, I wasn't much help to Andy in the details of
where/what/how for his GM ECM quest, so thanks to all who responded.
Also, Bruce and a couple of the other guys had helped out some time
ago, with a 'taxonomy' of the GM ECMs as far as which ones support
what injection styles/types, like port injection (PI) or TBI, and also
which ones are completely reprogrammable (have everything in an
alterable memcal, if I unnerstand the jargon :) AND also which ones
have been completely spelunked and even perhaps hac'd so the code is
available. So I'll try to recollect that for Andy and Ken, and post a
condensation here for yous guys to correct/elaborate.

There are a couple guys on our XA list interested in using GM ECMs,
perhaps even with the code tweaked to remove smog and limp modes, and
also perhaps more importantly, document any possible failure modes and
controller responses. As Andy mentioned, we've worked out a couple
different 'backup' strategies to prevent power loss in the air during
an ECM failure, and these schemes, along with the tractability of the
GM ECMs, is really making them look quite useable in XA apps. Not to
mention that we're DIS IGN fans already, due to the simplicity and
off-the-shelf nature of these crank-only fired systems, and we already
also have a fully redundant scheme for them as well.

I'm also struggling to catch up on back EFI email I wanna respond to,
but it's gonna take me awhile. Don't be surprised if I end up replying
to something posted as long as 3 wks ago! There was an interesting
discussion on PID in OEM controllers that I wanna get back to; some
untied ends there I think and some potential for more productive
discussion too. Also a couple of things that came up re. O2 sensing,
and finally I need to finish up and get out the last part of the
protection devices thread. Meanwhile, I gotta nuther question on ECM
availability I'll post under a separate subject. So back to the
grindstone; anyone have even part of a garage in the So. Bay Area they
wanna rent?

Gar