Re: ECM Availability

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 17:55:57 -0700, Carl Summers <InTech@writeme.com>
wrote:

>Lots of wiring Gar, if you want to switch between ECM's....I would think you
>would do the Baseline ECM as a backup and use a dual ported ram emulator for
>the tuning on one ecm....or possibly both ecms as this is a Kamakazi mission
>:)  WOW you do some wierd stuff Gar........nothin like pushin the limits huh
>Gar??? I like your style.....lots of luck.....maybe we should set up some
>kinda contract that says if anything happens to Gar....EGOR lives on.....
>:) :) :)   Sounds like a better job for a datalogger :) :)

Gee, Carl, you're all heart there buddy, thinkin bout my safety, or
... hmm, maybe it's Egor's safety you're really concerned about. :)

I guess I should bite the bullet and say more about a couple of the
different backup schemes we've worked out, since both Bruce and you
have thot ahead and wondered about how that might work. I'll do that
in another thread, but main point is we never considered switching
between ecm's in the way you allude to above, for the very reason that
there are soooo many connections. The simplest means just simply kills
the entire primary ecm dead, via power-down, and then fires up a
TBI-style wet fuel delivery in the intake, which only has to make
decent power, damn the 'driveability' or 'fuel economy'. We call that
a "Fifth Element" or "fifth injector" (since we deal mostly with boxer
4-bangers) scheme. The other method of running two ecms in parallel is
very trick and not at all complicated, but get's messy in the
discussion of how we handle the actively redundant injection, so I'll
have to save that for another time.

Gar