EPROM Emulator

While looking for a cheap EPROM burner online I came across an EPROM
emulator. Wouldn't this gizmo save a lot of time when tuning? I know its not
real time, but couldn't you just download a new tuning program after each run
rather than remove, burn and replace the EPROM? Is there something about this
device that doesn't quite work? Once you got the program right, then you burn
a permanent EPROM.
THanks