Re: Compiler?

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Kevin Crain wrote:

> Hiya folks-
>
> There's plenty of info on disassembly, tuning, and chip burning...but I'm
> not able to find any info about an assembly language compiler for the '165
> ECM.
>
> Closest I've found is on the TunerCat site:
>
> disassembler application:
> http://www.tunercat.com/disasm_desc/disasm_desc.html
>
> S code to binary converter:
> http://www.tunercat.com/s2bin_desc/s2bin_desc.html
>
> S code "patch" type utility:
> http://www.tunercat.com/modbin_desc/modbin_desc.html
>
> Where do I go to find an assembly language compiler for the Mot CPU in
> these '165 ECMs?

Remember something, no one here actually changes the GM code and
reassembles everything, everyone here (and usually GM also) just put a
jump in that jumps to the patch, the patch then does its thing, and
then jump back to after the jump to the patch.  It is a much safer way
of ajusting assembly code when even some of the real data could be
addresses also, and be thrown off by pieces of code moving.

I have applied several patches this way, you just need to make sure
that the patch also does what the 3 bytes of code your jump replaced
did.

			Roger