Re: Low RPM roughness

Someone once mentioned that the 4.3 TBIs sometimes have two different sized injectors. I think the edlebrock intake has a separate plenum for each throttle blade except for a passage at the top of the plenum. Fueling each bank differently could cause interesting drivability problems.

Rich V.

Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 14:44:06 -0400
From: Reid Bishop <rbish@ibm.net>
Subject: Low RPM roughness

I recently completed a Jeep conversion, placing an 89 4.3 TBI & 700R4 >into a
Jeep Cherokee.  I used a Howell Harness, a '7747 ECM, and stock 4.3 >EPROM
image (AKDX2088). This engine was completely rebuilt, bored .030 >over, and I installed an Edlebrock Performer manifold, Edlebrock Performer CAM >(fairly
mild roller cam, but definitely not stock), Edlebrock Roller timing >chain,
and roller rockers.  O2 is mounted on the Y-Pipe, just below the >drivers
side manifold collector (stock location on an S10 I believe...), and >stock
S10 manifolds were used.  Exhaust is 2.5 inch all the way back, with >a
high-flow cat and a FlowMaster muffler.

After about 800 miles, the engine runs fairly good, but still has a >few
problems. It idles very smooth, but does tend to hunt about 100 RPM >when it
is warmed up to 195F.  It also runs very rough just off idle- >anywhere
between 750RPM and 1800RPM it just can't seem to keep from stumbling >all
over the place.  ECM never sets a code, and I have been having >trouble
getting stable ALDL data when the motor is running.  Timing is set to >6
degrees BTC with the ECM control disconnected.  The ECM goes into
Closed-Loop after 1-2 minutes after a cold start.

Any idea what to look for when hunting this problem down? Fuel >Pressure is dead nuts at 13PSI after I switched my fuel return line to a 3/8ths >line. I
don't detect any vacuum leaks, but I wonder what the stock vacuum >reading
should be on this engine? Again, it idles great aside from a minimal >hunt,
but immediately off idle is where it starts to get unhappy.

Also, this combo gets terrible mileage right now- I didn't expect >good
mileage, but I am running 14.5MPG right now, no matter how I drive >it.  I
have 4.55 gears, with 32 inch tires, with a corrected speedo gear- >this
'appears' as something like a 4.11 ratio.

I don't have the Edlebrock chip yet for this manifold/cam combo- so >maybe
that's the problem, but I would not expect to see it have problems at >these
low RPM's.

Any techies have a suggestion?