aldl cable/program

I am having troubles with connecting to my cars computer.  I have a
7730 using the 8D code.  I have tried the two transistor aldl, the one
with the four transistors and MAX232, and the straight MAX232,
none of them seem to work.  I think I remember reading something
about having to use some diodes on the 2 trans interface, maybe
that is the problem with this one.  Where do the diodes go and what
direction?  Maybe it is the software that I am using.  I have used
carbytes, car chat, and EFILive, none seem to work with the car.
The straight max232 does get an echo using car chat and carbytes,
but the cars computer doesn't respond.  What am I doing wrong that
I don't know about?  My AUTO XRAY scan tool works fine with the
computer, for what it's worth.