Re: Cam Position Sensor

TK wrote:

> Yep, I'm in California. We get the better stuff here. 8^)
>
> I grabbed a cam sensor from a 3100 SFI and I recall pulling it from the
> front of the intake or block just behind the pulley's. I don't have a  3.1L
> MPFI here but it just sticks in my head that *when* it's there, it was in
> place of the dummy oil drive in the dist hole.
>
> Anyone that can clarify this?

I just double checked my parts catalogs.
Looks like in W-body apps, the 93 3.1L with NB2 (Cali Emissions)
definitely had a special block with the cam sensor hole in the same
place as the 3100.  The 93 3.1L w/NB2 also uses the same cam sensor as
the 94+ 3100, and just to make absolutely sure, I also checked the part
# of the oil pump drive (distributor dummy plug).  It is the same p/n as
the 88-93 2.8/3.1L, so at least on W-body apps, there's no sensor there.

This special one-year-only Gen II 3.1L LH0 w/SFI was used in all W-body
cars: Lumina, Cutlass Supreme, Grand Prix, and Regal, but only in '93
and only in California.  Another interesting thing to note is this
engine also used a P6 flash PCM just like the one used on the 3100 - of
course also only in California.  Fed emissions cars got a P4 PCM.

Shawn