Re: Traction Control

At 09:11 PM 9/23/00 -0400, you wrote:
I'm interested in improving traction on snow and ice more than reducing wheel spin on a hard launch. Would a custom torque converter help here? Can you tell me more about it? I'm not real familiar with how a torque converter works.

I'm considering some firmware techniques to reduce power for winter driving. Maybe retarding spark a little or missing an ignition pulse. Is anyone doing this kind of stuff? This will be my first winter in the Z, and I'm a little concerned about getting stuck in the snow.

Bill

It's easier and less expensive to change the torque converter; The production torque converter in F car A4 is very " tight ,low stall " 2x torque multiplier. which is no help in slick operating conditions, Touch the throttle , tires spin easily. We normally replace it with a custom built unit , which has (looser) "higher stall / slip ratio , Engine RPMs up before tires spin . The combination , combined with appropriate "All Weather" tires ,greatly improves control and traction , without compromising
overall driveability or fuel economy. As default, "hard launch" on dry pavement is improved , as well. The basic idea here is to reduce tire spin , in Snow ,Or the Green Light Gran Prix. This approach applies to nearly any vehicle which has a off idle responsive engine / power train profile. Glare Ice is trouble in ANY case , unless equipped with studded tires, if legal in your locale. A full Fuel tank and a 50lb bag of rock salt in F car hatch cavern won't hurt winter traction in any case. We are straying from EFI content here , Torque converters are a subject all to themselves , and a complex one at that.
Len