Re: 730 ECM Swap

> The thingy in the picture is a custom made up adapter for putting a 730
> computer on a 165 harness.

I know, that is exactly my plan :-)

> If anyone finds one of these harnesses in the junkyard, I can list 2
> people... one of which is probably in the hospital ;-) that it might belon
> to.
>
> Those are from various cavileers and GM trucks. The tricky one to find is
> the yellow connector - otherwise you have to trim a ridge off another type
> of connector. The picture shows one with the non-yellow improv. Mike's web
> pages describe its construction. Info was gathered from alot of these good
> helpful listers and the labor and testing and refinement (version 2 in
> development) was done over a period of many months.

Yeah I think I found 2 yellow ones today but the dang panels were still
covering the place for the ecm on the Z28 Camaro's.  Ants were running
around so I left the door open so they would get flooded out in the next
rain and then I could see if I could grab the connectors.  Basically I need
to see if any other cars would have these so I can make the cable this week
before all the parts show up Friday.

> The ecm's are under the passengers dash. pull em down and snip (make sure
> the yard isnt goin to kill you for ruining a $100 harness, they're usually
> clueless) the 3 connectors as far up the wire as you can - at least 8-10
> inches if you can do it.

The ECM's are already out on most of the cars but the Camaro is all screwed
together still so maybe they didn't know how to get it off.  They seem kinda
clueless.

> UNfortunately the connector to the left side of the picture is actually a
> de-solder from an ECM. Its where the harness plugs in. You muse destroy a
> whole ECM (get one from a 4 or 6 cyl for cheap.. do not destroy a good
> '165!)

They only had one ECM from a 86 Olds 98 I think and it didn't have a
connection for the third (yellow) connector so I wasn't sure if it was
exactly what I need since I hadn't got the wires to plug into it and the car
had already been smashed.