LS1 - Flash - Reprogramming

I have been out of touch with gmecm for a little over a year but I am just
now beginning to have time to begin playing with my toys again.

I have recently gained an interest in having the ability to custom program
the LS1 ecm. People are obviously doing it but there doesn't seem to be any
"end user tools" yet. Reviewing the list for the last couple of months I saw
that Andrew K. Mattei was getting into the flash memory of an LS1. Andrew
can you tell me where you are with this?

I was also hoping the list could help clarify/correct/inform me of some
specifics:

As I understand it the obd2 specification requires encryption of the data
going to / coming from the ecm. Has anybody broken this encryption?

If the encryption has not been broken that means the flash memory must be
accessed directly. From what info I have been able to gather (having not
opened an ecm (yet)) the flash memory is surface mount technology. Does that
mean that the current "turners" are unsoldering, reprogramming, resoldering
the surface mount flash memory chip (doesn't sound like fun to me!). Maybe
there is some other way, I hope.

I also see that Steve Cole has this power loader there appears to plug in
somewhere. Does anybody know how this works.

Just a couple of simple questions :-).

Thanks.

Bob