RE: drive by wire and 42V

    There's currently much discussion taking place about proposed OBD3
standards and what will be implemented . An ETC virtue is removing the physical link [ cable ] between throttle and the accelerator. Nasty frontal crash scenarios can involve jamming a cable in fixed or WOT status , adding potential to make matters worse. Also, ETC lends itself to Outside Telemetry Intervention by law enforcement or other control hungry folks that may have access to a vehicles data stream via satellite. The potential for abuse is what's being discussed , now, amidst other issues and " intrusive feature " integration [s]. I say no more because
    it's bound to get hair standing up on some folks necks. Nuff for now.

> From: Len Sabatine [mailto:sabatine@epix.net]
> Subject: RE: drive by wire and 42V
>

>       A portion of the Drive By Wire is looking forward to
> proposed OBD3.

How does ETC help with meeting OBD3 regs?  I'm not trying to be a dick -
it's an honest question.

I know it has some real advantages with turbocharged vehicles (which is why
Saab uses it on the Viggen), and it really makes some sense from a cost
standpoint when you consider that cruise-control can be integrated into the
system.

Eric Bryant
mailto:bryante@ghsp.com
http://www.novagate.com/~bryante