Re: DIS for GMECM

DIS = Direct Ignition System. One coil / two cylinders. Waste spark.

CNP = Coil Near Plug. One coil / one cylinder. No waste spark.

Al is correct in his explanation and we probably should try to keep the acronyms right as we discuss this more and more in the future. There are basically 2 different types of DIS modules; min-function and full-function. The difference is that with the min-function, the CS sensor signal is sent directly to the ECM/PCM for conditioning and then the signal goes to the DIS module to trigger the coils. On a full function DIS module, the CS signal goes to the MODULE first, is conditioned, and then on to the ECM/PCM. There is a big difference. With the full function module, the main signals sent to the ECM are the same as with an HEI module; EST, REF HI, REF LO, and BYPASS. Some applications pass some other signals to the ECM also, depending on what's needed. That means that if set up properly, a DIS can be used with the 730 ECM. I've done it and it works. What application are you trying to setup??

CNP is more difficult to use (for several reasons), but the main issue is coming up with 8 EST signals in the correct order, for each coil; hence the interface box.

	John