Paddle Shifters - Electronic Trans Controller

Someone recently, at either DIY or GMECM,  made mention of the concept of
"paddle" shifting an electronically controlled trans either in the context
of TCC, or 4L80E valve bodies, or aftermarket controllers, or ??????.......

I remember reading the message, but can no longer seem to find it anywhere.
Does anyone recall this? Can anyone point me toward that discussion thread?

Walt.