Re: Quad-4 (1228707 ECM) Rough Idle Problem

The ECM is correct, but the chip is known not to be stock - it
is tweaked in some manner for competition use. I am presently
trying to obtain the production chip so that I can see if
anything changes.

This particular engine is a W-41 (190 HP) Quad-4 that I dropped
into the car about eight years ago.  I do not have the stock
exhaust manifold for this engine and agree with you that the
manifold alone should not cause this problem.

The wandering timing at idle, 10 degrees of change in less than
one second, has me perplexed.  None of the inputs, other
than RPM, are changing at any significant rate to justify
the change in advance.  The MAP is stable to within 1-2 KPA,
the throttle position is 0% and the coolant temperature only
changes very slowly.

For other engine/ECM combinations, how stable is the advance
at idle?

-Will