RE: Turbo MAP & MAT interaction

Thanks for the reply Scott. I can't pretend to understand everything, I'm
on a very steep learning curve at the moment. I'll take it home at the
weekend and have a good think about what you say.

The sensor looks a bit like a spark plug, but instead of a spark tip there
is a metal cage surrounding what looks like a thermistor (A two legged 5mm
diameter round device). It appears to be coated in a film of petrol/oil,
but this isn't too surprising coz the engine has done 92,000 miles. The
thermistor looks like it is supposed to thermally isolated from the body of
the sensor - which is hat makes me think it should be measuring air temp,
not manifold metal temp.

I can believe that the MAT temp will vary between -40C and +200C, depending
on the amount of boost on the turbo. This temperature will vary rapidly -
full boost to vacumn in way less than a second when the waste gate opens
for example. The actual manifold temp  (the metal casing) however will
probably be at about the same temp as tha block 80-90C, and this won't
change at all in response to boost pressure - in the short term at least.

But my basic question is still regarding the ALDL/Tech1 MAT(IAT)
temperature reading. If I unplug the sensor's cable, the value goes to 00
almost instantly. If I short the sensor out, the value goes to 0xFF almost
instantly. So, assuming my sensor is good, it looks to me that the TECH 1
is displaying the raw A/D converter value coming from the sensor. If this
is the case, should the MAT reading be varying rapidly in response to boost
pressure, or only very very slowly in response to falls and rises in the
manifold metal temp ?

Thanks,
Malcolm Robb, Needing a new MAT sensor ?!