Illegal Operations

Finally fully assembled my MAX232-based ALDL scanner.
Works great, but I'm having trouble on the PC-end.
I've tried both Andy Whittaker's FreeScan and Paul Blackmore's CarBytes
v2.
After a few minutes of reading the normal ECM chatter, both programs
will crash with an "Illegal Operation".
I'm using Com3 and Win98 on an IBM Thinkpad 560.  Com2 is my PCMCIA
modem, Com1 is the IrDA.

Anyone seen this before?
At first I thought it was the software, but since both programs crash,
I'm starting to think something's wrong with my PC.
Both programs work fine when I'm not accessing the serial port.  Maybe
it's my funky Thinkpad.

Shawn