Re: TPI 327 Timing

> I was playing with the Timing while tunning the TPI 327 last night and I
cranked it up as far as I can for now. Ran out of markings on the timing
tang so I need to get a Advancable timing light or a timing tape for the
Balancer but anyway it seams to make more and more power (seat of the pants
Dyno)

Great way to kick the rings/bearings/exhuast valves out of a motor.   Never
ever beleive the buttometer...

 the more I advance it and no detectable knock yet. Does anyone know if
short stroke motors need more timing?

To some degree, but it's more a matter of combustion chamber design.
REMEMBER not all knock is audible!!

 Also the more timing I give it the less popping I get in the exhaust while
downshifting and to me that is a sign of the mixture igniting late.

Depending on DFCO, there may or may not be popping.  Popping is to some
extent good, again depending on how your doing you calibration.  I can tell
from what you've written you seem to subcribe to the more timing is good
club, which is a very expensive club,  ou want to run the min consistent
with max performance, meaning testing, live the buttometer nonsense for
folks who just don't know what they're doing.

On over run, there is no need for much timing or fuel.