Re: A few lt1 ?'s

>Ok heres another one. The plug i have pluged into the temp sender on
>my lt1, out of a 96 9C1 Caprice, has 2 wires a yellow and purple. the
>book says it should only have a green one, like every other chevy ive
>worked on. I cant find a connector anywhere with only a green wire .
>Does anyone know what this connector is? It comes out of the loom with
>the coil plugs, so it seem to be in the right place. Also does the temp
>sender have any effect on engine controls? if not i want to change it
>for my gage. If it does i guess ill have to find a different place for
>my sender. TIA

On the LT1, there are two coolant temp sending units.  The first is the
two wire unit that you've found above.  It is plumbed directly into the
waterpump and is used to feed the coolant temp signal to the PCM.  The
second sender (the green wire you're looking for) is plumbed into the
cylinder head and is only used for the coolant temp gauge in the
instrument cluster.  On a B-car and Y-car it is located between
cylinders 6 and 8, and on an F-car it is located between cylinders
1 and 3.

For more info on the subject, and a nice alternative for plumbing the
gauge sending unit, check out:

http://www.b-body.net/Technical/Interior/LT1-4TemperatureGauge.html

-Scott