RE: Piggy backing 165 ECM chips

1)	Leaving a ground untied on an IC (aka EPROM) is a bad idea.  I
wouldn't recommend it.
2)	Asynchronously switching between two EPROMs can cause problems.  You
may end up disobeying output setup and hold times.  Since the MPU gets its
opcodes from EPROM as well as data, you could end-up crashing the MPU (sort
of a blue screen of death, only automobile related ;-).  Also, if you switch
the chips the ONLY thing can change are static data tables and values, NO
CODE CHANGES!  I would think the best (only) way to do on-the-fly EPROM
switching would be to synchronously multiplex the data outputs from the two
chips and let them both run at the same time always.
3)	Be careful taking the simplistic approach of "just switch the upper
address lines" on a larger EPROM.  A download of the Fairchild 27cXXX family
of EPROMS reveals some interesting pin changes (VCC moves around, pins take
on two functions) as you move up in size.  Research!
4)	Always remember to de-bounce any kind of "switch" you may make.
De-bounce circuits can be a PITA but I remember seeing a de-bounce IC from I
believe Maxim that works well.  (Used it about a year ago.  A lot simpler
than caps, invertors, feedback circuits...)

HTH.  Just my, oh, about $1.25 worth of opinions ;-)
Steve