Re: IAT range

At 01:27 PM 6/3/00 -0400, you wrote:

> I'm sure General Motors spent much time and effort to find the best location
> compromise for the IAT, especially on LT1 , LS1 and Vortec equipped
> vehicles, from
> what I can measure. Avoiding the Hype and finding the truth takes vigilance
> on all
> our parts . In the end , how does a change apply to a specific combination
> of parts.

In Mark's defense, I'm sure he was most likely asking about the Quad4 in
his Beretta which does rely on speed density as its primary measure of
intake ability, having no MAF sensor.  However, I have to agree with the
general statement that the IAT relocation mod shouldn't make a darn bit
of difference, or if anything, it should cause more problems than its
worth.  If I understand correctly, the IAT relocation mod is supposed to
place the IAT in a cooler location, thus tricking the ECM into richening
the a/f mixture.  But, is this what we really want?  I was under the
impression that, from the factory, most a/f mixtures are more towards
the rich side already to keep the cat cool and reduce the formation of
NOx, especially since the Quad4 does not utilize any measure of EGR.

D. Barry Stubbs                                    http://surf.to/z24man
(912) 745-9429                                     AOL IM: thez24man
z24man@earthlink.net          BNet Member #828     ICQ #5409648
#101DSP MidGa Region SoloII   94 Q4 5spd Aqua Z26  88 2.8 5Spd White Z24
Yep , and throw in the "Factory" attempt to suppress detonation for sure, to reduce The Q4 head gasket stress , casting cracking and NOx. And yes, catalyst overheating is also a prime consideration for many reasons. Getting the fueling correct beats the quick and dirty trick stuff and promotes longer cylinder wall and valve guide life at the minimum.

Len