Dwell meter on injectors

ok, i have a dwell meter, ive never used it on anything before.. how do i
use it on the injectors? looks like two alligator clips, onepositive ,  one
negative...  I heard something aboutputting the positive on the injector
driver coming outof the ecm, and just grounding the negative.. yea or nay?
secondly, once its hooked up, how do I read the thing.. Instructions for a
dummy would be appreciated, remember ive never used thisbefore.. looks like
it has a line for   4 cyl, 6cyl and 8cyl on the gauge readout thing.

Thanks

Pablo