Re: First quote in on chip carriers (Ouch)

Mike Rolica wrote:

> What are these things any way?? To bypass prom??on memcall and have
> removeable one??
>
> If so I made one las night out of an old prom carrier, cut out chip, put in
> a eprom socket from old mother board I had.....made from used parts...

Nope, these are for the C3 ECMs.  The bare 2732 (or TMS2532) gets
inserted into a black plastic shell.  This shell (with EPROM) plugs into
a special socket on the circuit board.  The shell protects the EPROM's
pins as well as allowing insertion in only the proper orientation.  The
special socket could be replaced with a ZIF or something conventional -
except that the pin spacing is narrower than the 0.6" standard.

The 1227748 and 1228321 P4 ECMs use a 28 pin version of these carriers.