Re: C3 with 8192 ALDL

Shannen Durphey wrote:

> The E cars were
> sometimes equipped with an in dash CRT.  The screen I've got looks
> like a touch screen, and it's labelled (IIRC) Diagnostic, Climate, and
> Radio.

This explains why the "sample" had no dash...

> The ALDL has a special cover with a jumper molded in it.

Hmmm, <play sound of gears turning, solenoids clicking, a bell ringing>,
this could be a source of factory plugs that mate with the 12 pin ALDL connector.

> The
> jumper grounds the diagnostic line at all times, and the same jumper
> is installed in E cars without the CRT.  I remember that the service
> manuals say the BCM will lose communications from the ECM if the ALDL
> cover is not installed.  Does it seem likely that the 8192 is for
> communication with the bcm and other systems?

I was just at the library tonight and looked up these applications.  For
some reason, Mitchell's segregates these into the Cadillac section.  In
at least one instance, the jumper is shown connecting the M and L pins
of the ALDL connector.  M goes to the ECM, L to the BCM.  So yes, the
8192 would be for communication with the BCM.