From: owner-gmecm@diy-efi.org [mailto:owner-gmecm@diy-efi.org]On Behalf
Of Andrew K. Mattei
Sent: Saturday, September 02, 2000 12:38 PM
To: gmecm@diy-efi.org
Subject: Re: aldl cable

> this is wierd.. when there is power to the max232 anything i send gets
> relayed right back.. even with it dissconnected from the aldl cable,
> without power nothing?? whats going on..?? srgg

Which circuit are you running? Carsten's, Peter G's, or the one on my page
with all the transistors?

Whenever my cable is hooked to the COM port, whatever you send out the com
port is echoed back due to the nature of the interface. Since you're turning
the separate transmit / receive in to a single bidirectional wire on the
other side, whatever you spit out the transmit gets looped back in to the
receive. Makes for a quick and easy test of the cable under Hyperterminal.
Good cable = repeated characters, bad cable = no characters (but not all the
time ;) sometimes Hyperterminal "acts goofy" ).

Does your ECM transmit all the time? If so, you could try GCAR at
http://www.mindspring.com/~amattei/aldl.htm and just listen to the
datastream. You can easily send manual messages with it as well. It's an
ugly little program by today's standards, but still has its usefulness.

Cheers,

Andrew