Re: LS1 - Flash - Reprogramming

Bob wrote:

> I have recently gained an interest in having the ability to custom program
> the LS1 ecm. People are obviously doing it but there doesn't seem to be any
> "end user tools" yet. Reviewing the list for the last couple of months I saw
> that Andrew K. Mattei was getting into the flash memory of an LS1. Andrew
> can you tell me where you are with this?

I got the chip off the board, put it in the programmer, and read "FF"'s.
Need to do some troubleshooting on my piggyback board. Those chips are
VERY fragile, so I hope that I didn't break anything. I don't think I
did, but still need to do some looking.

> As I understand it the obd2 specification requires encryption of the data
> going to / coming from the ecm. Has anybody broken this encryption?

None of us, AFAIK. Steve Cole, yes. Hypertech, yes. Us (anyone on this
list, AFAIK), no.

> If the encryption has not been broken that means the flash memory must be
> accessed directly. From what info I have been able to gather (having not
> opened an ecm (yet)) the flash memory is surface mount technology. Does that
> mean that the current "turners" are unsoldering, reprogramming, resoldering
> the surface mount flash memory chip (doesn't sound like fun to me!). Maybe
> there is some other way, I hope.

No, they are not desoldering. I do not see how you could successfully
remove, program, resolder one of these chips without coming close to
frequently breaking them. It's that fragile.

> I also see that Steve Cole has this power loader there appears to plug in
> somewhere. Does anybody know how this works.

I've talked to him about it. You tell him what you need for your LS1, he
ships you a custom program built in to a Powerloader. You plug it in to
the car, hit a button, and bam, that's it. No options, no reversal. If
you need something changed, you send him the powerloader, he changes
stuff, he sends it back, you hit the button, bam. It's programmed. It's
basically a one-shot device, unless you need a reprogram. It beats
having the PCM lost in UPS land for days, though.

-Andrew