Re: Analog Cadillac/Bendix to'730

At 04:17 PM 2/25/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi Guys,
>I have been lurking and absorbing as much info as my feeble powers will
>allow, need to ask a few newbie-like questions of the brain trust.

Start by reading programming 101 on the website, it's a good start.  (or so
I've been told ;^> )

>My project is to convert a 500ci Cadillac with a bendix analog
>controller to something more flexible, say a '730 or similar. I don't

I'm using the intake and fuel rails from a Bendix-controlled Olds 350 on my
Olds 403 FI.   Dumped the Bendix TB  (Throttle Body) since it was a lot
more work to adapt it than to adapt a TPI TB to the intake.

I think it would be easier to adapt a GM TBI to the manifold - that way you
get GM injectors, IAC and TPS all in one shot.    Use a Cad HEI, drop in a
7-pin module for timing.

>Questions:
>
>1. The Cadillac injectors are low impedance, are they compatible will
>the 730's driver?

Nope, but can be done.  See archives about "external driver".  I was going
to go this route, but I did some minor mods to the intake and was able to
fit in standard LT1 or Ford style injectors.

>2. If the stock injectors won't work, how would I size replacements?

Formulas are available for this.    Here's one I used:
http://rceng.com/technical.htm

>6. Are there companies/ individuals who will custom  burn eproms based
>on : engine size, intended use, etc? Is this something that would be
>best done by myself?

There are companies who can and will, but I think you're best to learn to
DIY, since if you make changes in the future you'll need to get a new burn
(read: $$$), and you'll also be able to fine-tune it yourself.

>Russ Harms

--> Bob Valentine
--> bob@tecmark.com