Need help: power programming eprom

I am having a problem getting my car's computer to "accept an eprom".
If I put the exact same program into an eprom that was in my original chip it works fine, but as soon as I change any data, the car's computer chokes on it and goes into "limp home mode" when the service engine light stays on and my diacom won't communicate. Is there some step I am missing? Do you have to change some kind of check sum on the eprom for the computer to recognize a change or something?

Jeff
93 Formula
77 Nova
http://Go.To/LilDemon