Re: EPROM Reader Problems Deleting Chip? EMERGENCY

Scott Flanagan wrote:

> My friend and I were reading his EEPROM (27c256) out of his 92 Bonnevile SE
> (w/out Heated Winshield) and the reader would not read it.  After placing it
> back in the car the Check engine light stays on.

Wo ho! You let the smoke out from behind the little glass window!
Time for a new EPROM.

Perhaps you plugged the EPROM in backwards in the reader/programmer?

You could get another MemCal, or, if you have a burner, then simply
program another EPROM and replace the old - but, based on your track
record so far, perhaps the replacement MemCal is the better option.
You'd need to get a bin and replacement EPROM from somewhere if you
try this route - got a BCC?

> Also the ELC fuse, which
> is a 40 Amp fuse blew.  Does anyone have any ideas.

Hmm, multiple faults? Cooked MEmCal -> cooked ECU -> blown fuse????
I wouldn't have thought so - I shorted Vcc to GND on a '165 recently,
for a good few minutes - the power supply chip just shut down, and was
fine after short was removed.

> The car runs idle is
> high and rough, smells rich, engine cuts out above 3500 RPM, and when put in
> drive you can floor the engine and the car barely moves.  Is that limp-home
> mode?

Yes!

> Also, it is an electrically controlled transmission.  What should we
> do? Go to the junkyard and get a new EPROM?

See above - but that'd be my option in your position.

Peter