1998 4L60E & ECM

Hi. I'm new to this list. I tried to view the archives to make sure this
might be a place to get the answers I am looking for. Unfortunately I wasn't
able to view them. So here goes.

I am trying to find out the purpose of the electronic box,
(tech term, I know), on the side of the 4L60E transmission on a 1998 GM
truck. This is the box at the shift lever. I have a 1994 TBI 350/4L60E
already. The 1994 4L60E does not have this box. I need to know if this box
just controls things like the reverse lights, dash indicator lights or does
it interact with the ecm for engine or tranny controls? I am trying to find
out if I can put a 1998 Vortec engine with my 1994 4L60E tranny.
Thanks
lpwcruzr@netzero.net
Paul Washburn