Fw: Kalmaker software

I get letters from lots of folks off list.  Over 99% of the time I try my best to help them.  Some folks just get to me and I jus thought I'd share, a letter and response from me.
Grumpy

Hi Bruce, I was quite fascinated with your site and the work that has gone into it. I dont have alot of experience on hacking, as when I first started 5 or 6 years ago I found a recent sotware package just released then called Kalmaker.

Recent 5-6 years ago, or are you talking about kalmaker being rereleased?.

You may have heard of it. It is Australian and back then it was for only our local ecm which is similar to the 1227165.
I was running a 400 Chev with TPI fitted running the 1227165 with MAF meter which needed reprogramming.
It was very easy to convert to MAP sensor and run this new Kalmaker software with what I had.
After using it I realised its worth as it is 3 packages in 1.
First its written in Plain English with easily adjustable bars etc( no Hex), second, in a way it is an emulator and 3rd it is in Real Time.
To this day I havent seen anything else like it. This is the reason I dont know much Hex .
The major drawback with it as far as you guys would be concerned is (as yet) it doesnt suit your model ecm and pcm's.
It is perfect for Hot rods or street machines or engine transpalnts in general.

Here in the states we have several prom editor vendors, and with anyone of them and a prom emulator we can do about real time emulation. Prototype on the fly ecm specific hardware/ software is under evaluation.  Which all is much cheaper the Kalmaker, and is transferable from ecm to ecm.  So Kalmaker falls to, not even in the running, for price and function.

Since those days I have become the Distributor of the Kalmaker "Street Pro 2" package and I will put my web address at the bottom of this email.
I have a major update coming in the next 2 weeks approx with all the latest info.

Hope it goes well for you, Kalmaker has burnt it's bridge with me thou.  After all the noise they rasied at DIY_EFI several years ago, they are less then thieves, IMHO.

One of our projects at the moment which you may be able to help me with is, we are adapting the DIS coil pak ignition from the S10 4 cyl Chev on to import Jap turbo engines. This ignition module has the same 4x interface wiring as the TPI engines etc do ie Ref Hi, Ref Lo, Bypass, and EST. All our Australian models use this as well, meaning that the module itself has the smarts to work out which coil to fire, whereas with some models the smarts are in the ecm/pcm itself and the crank sensor is wired straught to the ecm.

Why would I want to help you?.
I'll do all I can for someone that CONTRIBUTES to EFI society, but in your case you come out of the wood work asking for help to help to make money, Hahahaha.....

This leads to where I'm heading, I have been looking for a V8 version of this which led me to the LT 5 Corvette, which has exactly what I want. Then I found the info on the diy efi gm ecm page showing the manuals tec which was fantastic, except for the price of the all the parts required. Ouch.!
Do you know of any other V8 modules similar to this.

If I did, why would I want to help you?.

The Cadillac Northstar uses one but thats all i know. Where could I found out more info on this?

GM shop manual?.

The beauty of the LT 5 system is also with the crank trigger which is very basic as with the S10.
Some units have a very difficult to reproduce crank trigger.
Any help on this matter would be much appreciated.

I'm sure it would be.

This all means that if all this works we can run the LS 1, LT 1 etc or Fords or whatever very easily on our 16176424 PCM which we also have the software to totally recalibrate the 4L60E trans as well.
I have done several TPI's with 4L60E trans with low gears and its fascinating reprogramming all the shift points, line pressures, shift times and TCC lockups. Theres lots to learn but you can concentrate on how the software/hardware works and not have to learn all the hex addresses etc on top of that.
My web address is http://www.com.au . I hope you enjoy it and I look forward to you comments.
ps we hope to have the full software for the LS 1 in approx 12 months as we now use this engine here in Oz too.

Feel free to write me at any time after you decide to become a contributing member of the EFI community.  As for making a buck from others work, again good luck.
If you care to subscribe to the gmecm or DIY_EFI, lists feel free to ask me for help, if you decide to contribute to the effort.  Course takers usually don't really want to help anyone.
HTH
Bruce